[Cob] Green insulation?

billc_lists at greenbuilder.com billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Wed Feb 15 20:48:47 CST 2006

At 11:13 AM -0800 2/15/06, yew wrote:
>Anna Young wrote:
>
>>Does this product ring any bells for anyone? We would love to
>>find an insulation for our house roof that is sustainably made,
>>non-toxic, fire-resistant and recyclable..
>
>I think it's kind of like a low-density polyurethane foam (unless
>I'm confusing it with some other product).  It's only "green" in the
>sense that it saves a lot of energy in heating costs.  I'm not sure
>whether there's a non-petrochemical equivalent.

Biobased (or is it Bio-Based) insulation is a similar product made
from soy.  They don't have applicators everywhere yet, but if there's
someone in your area it'll be something to look at.

>I don't think Icynene is recyclable, but again, I'm not sure.  I
>imagine it's just about as flammable (and as toxic when exposed to
>fire) as any other type of petroleum-based foam.

Don't know about recyclability or fire on either of these.  I suspect
that it's got to be minimally fireproof.

Another possibility is rice hulls.  I'm looking into that for roof
insulation when we build ours.  Google "rice hull house" for more
info. Leftovers make good garden mulch too. Get organic if you can.

--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>