[Cob] Green insulation?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 16 23:08:11 CST 2006

I'd forgotten about rice hulls.  moderately fire-proof, lots of good
properties, available one state over from me.  Would they be hard to place
in a ceiling?  Not according to the .pdf here:

http://www.thelaststraw.org/backissues/articles/Rice%20Hull%20House.pdf

and there's this from Don Stephens' web-site:

http://www.greenershelter.org/index.php?pg=6

I just got a message back from Bio-Based asking about blowing agents (good
news as far as it goes) with the name of someone in West Tennessee who is a
dealer/installer (he's already called, number's on caller ID):

   "Our BioBased 501 is a water blown, half pound, semi-open cell foam.  Our
    BioBased 2000NB is a 2lb open cell foam which uses the 245fa systems as
the
    blowing agent.  We are coming out with a 1.7lb water blown, closed cell
foam
    shortly.  As far as how green, it meets or exceeded Government
regulation
    for being considered a green product which is all that we are allowed to
    disclose."

Bill C. replied to Anna and me (snipped):

>>Does this product ring any bells for anyone? We would love to
>>find an insulation for our house roof that is sustainably made,
>>non-toxic, fire-resistant and recyclable..

Biobased (or is it Bio-Based) insulation is a similar product made from soy.
  They don't have applicators everywhere yet, but if there's someone in your
area it'll be something to look at.

Don't know about recyclability or fire on either of these.  I suspect that
it's got to be minimally fireproof.

Another possibility is rice hulls.  I'm looking into that for roof
insulation when we build ours.  Google "rice hull house" for more info.
Leftovers make good garden mulch too. Get organic if you can.