[Cob] Choosing a land/building site?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 28 19:28:00 CST 2006

I didn't use that one--although I think I know people who did, and found it
worthwhile.

Although there are a couple of similar books around, none of which I am
familiar with.

I think this is one that is considered classic.  Originally published in
1974, at least in its 5th edition now:

Finding and Buying Your Place in the Country

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0793141095/ref=pd_bxgy_text_b/103-4441361-7626258?%5Fencoding=UTF8

I can't remember the title or author of the one that made the most
impression on me--and it was mostly a book on building.  But whoever it was
recommended the usual stuff--making sure that you get a clear title
(including timber rights in this part of the country, mineral oil or water
rights out west, and remember that it is legal to sell someone a quitclaim
deed to the Brooklyn Bridge), have reasonable access to your land, and are
going to be able to get water one way or another, have some idea what your
neighbors are likely to be like.

But they also recommended spending a lot of time, through all four seasons,
on it before you decide--the house has to go here!--the horrible example
they gave, was that that particular "here" was right in a wet weather spring
and turned out to be expensive to build around.

And maybe a couple of Christopher Alexander books--Timeless Way of Building,
  and A Pattern Language.  Although they may be better a little bit farther
along in the process.  Alexander is a big big fan of having the best view on
the property the one you see when you drink your morning coffee.  Not the
one people envy as they drive past your house.  They are really really
expensive books, though, unless like a friend of mine you find one at a
garage sale for fifty cents.

and Ianto's book.  It's good on siting a house, and reminding you that you
are going to need clay and sand--trucked in from not far away, if necessary.

Predrag gave David the title of a famous book on the subject:

Here is a book I had a chance to see and found interesting and useful
especially for USA.
best regards
Predrag

'How to find your ideal country home'Ruralize your dreams by Gene GeRue
Heartwood Publications
HC 78, Box 1105 Zanoni, MO65784
ruralize at aol.com
ISBN-0-9641478-1-5