[Cob] Choosing a land/building site?

Thomas Gorman tom at honeychrome.com
Wed Mar 1 08:06:06 CST 2006

I've been immersed in reading along these same lines too, and I'm
finding there is a wealth of information out there, but not
comprehensively compiled in one place.  Almost every book on building
(natural and otherwise) has a section on finding land, siting, etc.
Use the library!  It seems that more and more the initial impulse is
to click to Amazon or trot down to B&N and start buying.  If you are
lucky your local library is part of a larger network with an online
catalog and you can request books from any of the related branches.
I always check the library now, then move on to Powells then Amazon
when looking for a book.  Since becoming interested in cob (and other
related green building) I find I'm stopping at the library twice a
week now to pick up books I've requested.  The NYC system has about
60% of what I'm interested in, though they didn't have The Hand
Sculpted House.  When I'm done passing that around to everyone I know
that I think will be interested in it I may donate it.

The Christopher Alexander book is dry and dated at first look
(appears as if it was published in '40 rather than '70!), but really
interesting and instructive when you get into it!

I've found "Creating A Life Together" by Diana Christian to have some
good information on choosing land, etc.  It's more about the process
of finding, buying and building with an eco-village or intentional
community in mind, but brings up issues that anyone thinking about
'alternative' building should bear in mind: codes, zoning, neighbors,
etc.

I think perhaps there isn't any one go-to comprehensive guide or
information source for finding and buying land specifically for
'alternative' building because there are so many code and zoning
variations that radically differ from town to town, county to county,
and much is arbitrarily dictated by local officials.  Official
information from the state or county sources seems purposely opaque,
no doubt to protect these bureaucracies from liability and to allow
them maximum control over what can and can't be done.  It's a real
pain to navigate.  The argument is that these codes and regulations
are in place to protect the public (us), but they are just as much in
place to protect 'the system', the building industries and the status
quo.  I'm coming around to thinking that while all this zoning and
code variation and inconsistency creates more work for those of us
who wish to build 'alternatively' and/or innovate and eliminates a
lot of locations as possibilities and creates  unnecessary expense,
it might actually be better than having cob, etc. formally written
into the codes.  The codes and regulations are as much determined by
the interests of the building industry as safety 'experts' etc., and
the idea of building systems that could cut into their profits being
widely accepted is pretty unlikely.  What will probably eventually
happen is the codes will be written to make cob building more
restricted and expensive and difficult rather than the opposite.  The
current uncertainty and vagueness may be our only opportunity to find
'wiggle room' and build the way we would like.

Tom
NYC