[Cob] building codes

spiritpath n/a spiritpath1 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 5 09:53:40 CST 2006

hi all~
    i did a search for building codes by doing one of the county i want to build in and the state .......it brought up lots of informative sites that i couldnt really make heads or tails out of some of the language.
    i am looking for anyone on the east coast that is knowledgable about cob building.  i would like to have a contact i can ask questions of once i start building.(my land is in southern virginia (i currently live in maryland).
    as to building codes.......i havent decided whether i will even apply for a building permit or not.  the property is mostly wooded with about an acre open (17.43 acres total).  no neighbors are visible even in winter and the access to the property is off a "private" gravel road which is only used by those living along it.  my nearest neighbor on this road is about 1/2 to 3/4 mile from my access point and only part of  the clearing is barely visible from the gravel road (even in winter).  until i retire, i will use this property as a "campground" for myself.  i plan to retire about 5 years from now so that gives me time to build on a part time basis.  first thing is to have a well put in.  not sure if i will use electricity so may go with hand operated well-pump.
    any contacts anyone has on the east coast would be greatly appreciated.
  peace and light~
  terry

Yahoo! Mail