[Cob] New to list

Anna Young avjyoung at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 22 12:15:03 CST 2006

Hi Lori,

Sorry for the late response on this, have been snowed under with the rest of
life. We are building a cob/strawbale/timberframe house in Victoria, BC. We
found the site before we found cob, so have been jumping through building
code hoops ever since to get done what we want. You could try getting land
outside of a municipality or town, where stricter local codes might not
apply and you could use the Universal Building Code, which is a bit more
laid back, if I remember right. You could also do a timberframe/cob house,
which adds to the cost, but eases the inspector's mind if something reliable
like wood is holding the roof up. Infill with all sorts of things is then
more acceptable for them. Finding an inspector with an interest in and
sympathy for natural building, even if they don't know much, also helps.

Keep us posted!

Anna