[Cob] spray gun, hopper gun, texture sprayer, tirolessa

Barbara Roemer roemiller at infostations.net
Wed Mar 22 12:44:40 CST 2006

Pack inquired about use of Tirolessa and other sprayers.

We were pretty discouraged with the use of a Tirolessa originally: we used
it with our 1 HP compressor, and it was virtually useless.  For a 14 x 16'
strawbale powerhouse, we used the same compressor and a drywall hopper.
Worked fine as long as we were spraying the slip coat with a little finely
chopped straw just to seal up the bales for insect, rodent, and fire
protection.  Wouldn't push the much heavier plaster which included lots of
long straw.  We were amazed to find that the Tirolessa worked beautifully
with a 4 HP compressor to lay on a very thick (1.5-2") scratch coat.  Much
faster than doing it by hand on a larger building, and enabled us to fill
out irregularities and deep spaces at bale intersections that had been
straw-stuffed but weren't yet flush with the wall.  You still might want to
do a manual top coat.

Barbara