[Cob] FW: the other view...termites

Lance Collins collinsl at bigpond.net.au
Thu Mar 23 23:37:32 CST 2006

Amanda said:

>Which probably means that those of us not in desert areas do need to
>think if we need to adapt our plans for our cob or other natural
>building so as not to encourage them, in the posts of post and beam,
>for instance.
>
>I lived in houses in Hawaii that you could--it wasn't
>encouraged--put your finger through the all-wood walls because only
>two films of paint were standing between you and the outside, the
>rest eaten up by the same or very similar termites.
>
>(of course, this might even be a benefit--we'd prove that the "pure"
>cob worked just fine after the posts had disappeared--and been
>replaced by cob!!!)

I do wonder why people in termite infested areas build their houses
of termite food and then have to use nasty chemicals to deter the
termites.   If I mention steel I'll get lectured about embodied
energy but steel posts for post and beam are not that expensive and
having done a little with both wood and steel I'd say steel is easier
to work with.

Lance
(in Aus)