[Cob] FW: the other view...termites

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 24 00:49:23 CST 2006

I've been rethinking along those lines as well, lately--what's going to do
the job best instead of wood-good, steel (not to mention concrete) -bad.

Especially if your sub-soil is good, if there are people growing grains for
straw nearby, cob meets both requirements--low embodied energy, and termite
proof at least up to the roof.

Australia I gather has termites that make the Formosan ones look like minor
inconveniences to people building with wood.

Lance wrote:

I do wonder why people in termite infested areas build their houses of
termite food and then have to use nasty chemicals to deter the termites.
If I mention steel I'll get lectured about embodied energy but steel posts
for post and beam are not that expensive and having done a little with both
wood and steel I'd say steel is easier to work with.