[Cob] (no subject)

JUDITH WILLIAMS williams_judith at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 30 22:00:56 CST 2006

Thought I should mention that my floor heating system is a hypocaust not
hydronic (in otherwords, my floor uses stove exhaust gasses through
ducting, rather than hot water through pex or other piping).  I generally
discourage people from piping hot water through cob floors because a leak
would be a disaster for the floor and leaks can happen.  For a hypocaust
there is a small chance that a leak could be dangerous to the occupants if
stove exhaust gasses are used (as opposed to just hot air) so I recommend
you always use a carbon monoxide detector in the building.

I'm not familiar with hypocaust systems. I think I'll just put a small wood
or propane stove in there. This is for a kitchen that, because of having to
redesign while building, was moved to the north part of the house. It's the
only room that will not really benefit from the sunlight sinking into the
floor by the windows. Thanks for the advice about not putting water under an
adobe floor.