[Cob] Re: The Mobile Home

frank frank at computerbooksource.ca
Sat Apr 8 17:52:51 CDT 2006

Hi Lee,

To begin with, I don't have any experience with cob building.  I really liked
the suggestion of exploring material that would hold the cob but the question
about weight for a mobile house frame really makes sense to me.

My first question is, "How hard would it be to reorient the mobile home?"  It
seems to me that if can change the orientation of it without incurring too
much cost for electrical, plumbing, etc. connections that could be a good
improvement and facilitate any additions.  The next concern I would have is
moisture if you are going cover the existing frame of the mobile home.

If you live in a hot climate then you need to add both insulation and mass.
Insulation on its own will help reduce cooling costs but still allow fairly large
temperature swings whereas mass would reduce them.  Being in Texas I
think that I would investigate using compressed straw bales for covering the
existing mobile frame and for additions.  Straw bales would provide
insulation.  Earth bags could also work and they would provide both some
insulation and mass.  If the climate is really hot you could also add some
insulation.

If you weren't going to add to the mobile home there is also a method for
extending the side walls called a Larsen truss.  Larsen trusses are 2 pieces
of 2 x 3 or ripped in half 2 x 6's joined by plywood web near the top and
bottom and in the middle.  You could make them up yourself.  The plywood
web determines how wide they are and how much insulation you can add to
the walls and/or roof.  Since you have a mobile home I would suggest
finding a way to support the trusses from the bottom.  On a normal 2 x 4 or 2
x 6 wall supporting them from the basement wall would be enough and
could easily be accomplished by using cutoffs from I-beams.

Good luck,
Frank Hanlan
Edmonton, AB