[Cob] Re: drain plane The Mobile Home

Carrie J Horne hms.mommy at juno.com
Sat Apr 8 23:50:14 CDT 2006

> I know conventional builders will use  building paper-  15 lb felt- to
> create that barrier over ANY hard surface, then you are essentially
> applying a clay coat to mesh webbing and that paper.

Charmaine (I think),
How is the felt supposed to stay attached to the wall once the cob is
attached to it?
It seems like the weight of the cob will pull the felt off.  Or is that
your point?

>I put a section of wire mesh that I had lying around on a section of the
siding and used light cob pressed into it.<

Lee,
How are you attaching the mesh to the walls?

>With bale, one includes a layer of gravel between the structure and
the bales as a drainage plane. <

Barbara,
How do you get the gravel to stay in place?  Do you just leave a gap
between the bales and structure and then fill it in with gravel?  So then
the issue is one of how the bales are attached to the rest of the
structure, and just happens to be done so across a gap.  It seems like
something similar could be done with cob.

Carrie
Salt Lake City