[Cob] Re: drain & larsen truss Mobile Home

dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Sun Apr 9 01:57:15 CDT 2006

  the point is that cob and natural materials wont easily stick to any
paper for more than a few minutes, this is why the mesh is used, the
mesh actually holds it all up as a support 'frame'.   on standard
buildings they frame it out in wood and OSB, cover with felt paper
then staple wire mesh over and spray with cement stucco... since cement
will dry fast and stick to the wire it is different than the cob.

  the message  is you do need a drain plane  against the metal or vinyl
mobile walls.

cob may stick to the mesh against a metal wall, but may hold wetness
from any sweating/condensation moving from the inside of the home to
the exterior.

having building paper against the vinyl may let the moisture drain down
the wall-facing side of the paper, and not pass to the cob side.

LARSEN TRUSS..

best way is to imagine two   straight back ladders facing each other 2
feet apart attached to a 2x4    they are a foot  to 2' deep- and you
pack the light straw between them to make a tall narrow tower.  if you
hve a truss attached to every 2x4 you are making a thick wall INSIDE
the structure-- which, of course you have planned for in the footage
needed.
  wood pieces connecting between the 'ladders' support the weight of the
infill and stabilize the whole.