[Cob] round wood, posts, deck

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at habitat.org
Mon Apr 24 13:35:59 CDT 2006

Well I don't speak as any kind of expert. When I first started I was
carefull to let my home harvested / peeled logs dry for several months
before I used them.

As time as passed I have used them quite green. What my personal
experience has found is it depends on what you are building and that is
the use. The fact is there will be some shrinkage but nothing I build
has any high level of engineering tolerence. In fact If I nail to a
green log, it drys down on the nail making that nail even tighter. So I
used green peeled lumber as posts a not had any problems. Of course the
posts are not enclosed so they get plently of air flow and thus they can
dry without problems in due time.

As far as cement footing go, I've also had good results.

Pat

<snip>
My question: do I need to let the redwood posts dry? For how long? I
can't seem to find any good lit on how to prep redwood.

These posts will be about 4 feet long at the longest.  I will be putting
them on cement footings. unless someone here can talk me out of that.

Tys
</snip>