[Cob] Soil ratio

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Sat Apr 29 18:05:46 CDT 2006

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006, Jennifer Roberts wrote:

> Anyone have luck with a 10% clay to 90% sand ratio? The books say it can be
> done, and I am making some test bricks, but would love to hear from anyone
> who has indeed cobbed with 10% clay.

Your actual clay/sand ratio is meaningless, with some clays it might take
30% clay to make it work, and for others 10% might even be to much.  It
depends on how sticky your clay is, and that will vary tremendously from
one place to the next or even just from one layer of your soil to the
next.  When in doubt make test bricks, that is the only way to be sure
what you will end up with.