[Cob] re: cob in cold climes

Tim V globalfreak at gmail.com
Fri May 5 13:38:20 CDT 2006

I worked on a cob structure in upstate NY about three years ago and it was
intended to house students at a college. We used a stright up cob wall with
earthen plaster on the outside and inside. As far as i know the thickness is
the only factor, our walls were near 12 inches in width. We were told that
cob had an excellent R value, around 30 i think, but not as good as a
strawbale structure, which another project had built nearby. In other words,
cob still better than stick frame with regular insulation. -TV