[Cob] Cob in Madison, Wisconsin

Dave Brown quahog at netnet.net
Tue May 9 08:19:17 CDT 2006

This past weekend Kathleen and I drove down to Madison to see Marlin
Nissen and crew and their learn a thing or three abut cob
building.  We didn't get there Saturday, which was their big, not to
mention busy, day.  On Sunday things were a bit more calm.  We got
there late, but still with time to watch some people mixing cob with
their feet and forming the balls or loaves to use in their project.

I'm one of those "visual" learners.  I can read, talk, and listen
until my head spins, but I learn more and faster from watching
someone (like Marlin and his crew) actually doing it.  Probably the
biggest thing that I noticed/learned was the texture and consistency
of the cobs.  It was clear that it would be easy to leave the mix too
wet and that the effects of this can, at a minimum, a real nuisance
and at the worst a real disaster.  I also gained a clearer
understanding of the need to put all those finger holes in the
surface to provide a grip for the next layer as it is applied.

Marlin had some slip handy also.  Looking at and feeling the slip and
comparing that to the shake test that I did supported my thoughts
that what I had in my yard (about 18" down) was some pretty good near
pure clay.  I showed a lump that I had brought to Marlin who also
thinks that is good clay.  Now to make some test bricks/balls to see
how it works.

My first project, after making test balls, will be a cob oven.  The
idea is to build one in the Quebec oven style, as it would be
historically appropriate for this part of Wisconsin.  Additionally,
my mother's family is from Quebec and the Three Rivers area.  Our
family tree (Paquin) traces back to the mid 1500's in Quebec.  The
experience will also be a benefit to me and Heritage Hill State Park
here in Green Bay where wattle and daub walls exist and there is a
beehive brick oven and a cob oven in need of some attention.

You can learn a little about Marlin and his Out of the Box group at
www.outtathebox.org and some on the Cob Archway at
http://midvaleproject.net/cob.htm

Thanks again, Marlin.

Dave Brown