[Cob] how to Test Bricks

dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Wed May 10 11:57:17 CDT 2006

Dave I know the method of drying lime clay tests is to use an 'oven
roast'  type  bag, seal well and bake at 200 deg or less  for 24 hours.
  the bag keeps moisture in, and the low temp simulates a 90 day cure.

I  may be off a bit on exact temps.  but this method is used to test
the amount of lime needed to make a "roman cement" and stabilize clay.

obviously the less lime the less costly overall- 2%-6% etc for big
jobs, but lime is not that expansive.

  but for straight cob it may  give you a good shrink and crack  test
result

using NO oven bag is a sure way to just get dry cracked brick samples
which may tell you nothing

I used to test mixes using a tuna can as the form, and  mixing several
different batches by % of lime used.  worked great

Charmaine Taylor Publishing
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
PO BOX 375 CUTTEN CA 95534
Tel:  707-441-1632   MORE Building DVDs in stock