[Cob] Heating cob homes?

Whidbey Island Soap Co. Soap at whidbey.com
Sun Jun 4 13:38:36 CDT 2006

Thanks Bill!

I don't really need a lot of heating in the Pacific Northwest here. Just
something to keep it warm on cold nights. The corn stove looks like a good
promise for the mid west with lots of corn available. Unfortunatly here I
think I would have trouble finding corn for a decent price. I can get wood
other fuels here. I was thinking something like a small fireplace and then
wrapping the the flue back and forth inside a wall then up and out. This
would give the  heat a greater chance to be absorbed by the wall and then
released back into the room. Even if I had to go to burning coal I could do
it. My home and rooms in it will be prety small so I do not need to heat
large spaces. I will also be using pasive solar to heat the house and
probably in floor radiant heating of some type. The in floor would be cool
to do by heating the water with waste oil from deep fat friers. I can turn
that into bio-diesel prety easily since I own a soap making company and the
chemistry to make soap or Bio-diesel is prety simmilar.

My idea for my home is to build two or more structures no more than 200
square feet and connect them with breezways that can be inclosed in the
winter. The infloor radiant heating hoses would be run underneath the
breeazways. All floors and breezways would be earth floors since they tend
to be easier on the feet and seem to radiate the heat prety well.

What do you think!

Dave T