[Cob] Heating cob homes?

Mike Swink mswink77 at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 4 16:20:42 CDT 2006

I saw a man who had lost a house to fire.
WHen he rebuilt it, He first told me that he decided to prevent any fires.
WHat he did was built a large up right eight foot by eight foot room. from
concrete blocks
but I guess we know another way that is cheaper? ha.
The roof was a slab 3 or thicker I think he just poured. Not sure of hang
over maybe five inches. I do know here in Ga that if you have a 12-24 inch
overhang it will block out the summer sun.

He told me he filled the cinder block dirt or sand.
And that he insulated the floor below the freeze line apox 1 ft here in ga.
WIth sytrofoam and concrete.
THe n in inside the same to roof. BUt with shineing refection paper and
foam.
THe foam melted and it was mess. SO then went on top of building and put a
foot of soil and flowers ha ha. Did not look bad. Bet grape vines would be
nice too. But please no kuzu. ha.

On inside he took very strong fence wire the thickness larger than chicken
wire but less than chain link. Filled up to near roof as possible to still
be able to pour rocks . THe thickness of the amount of rocks were I think 20
inchs.

THe heating duct was inserted into side of bld and looped around room to
heat or cool the air inside.

He had a local metal  shop to make a nice furance that Ithink could with
little change diffrent fuels.

He said that wath he really discovered was that cheap air conditioner could
help so much in cooling his house in house. He removes a/c in winter.