[Cob] Lime

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 4 21:09:30 CDT 2006

It sure would be nice to have that much choice.

Around here, this county, and the one to the south, don't carry hydrated
lime at all.  The one to the north does, though.  So unless I want to buy
half a truck load and/or pay shipping I take what I can get.  It's
reasonably white, and works pretty well.  And is nice after it soaks for a
good long time.

When I spent the summer in a Mexican Indian village, people bought hydrated
lime--it came in on horseback--in bags marked "not for food use."  Which of
course was what they used it for--soaking corn to grind for tortillas.

Charmaine's right by the way--Rubbermaid tubs work a lot better than olive
barrels.  Although on one I've had to bungee cord the lid on.
Thomas Gorman wrote:

It will be at least a couple years before we'll have a need for it,  but I
want to get a jump on soaking some lime for future plasters,  etc.  I was at
a cob workshop this past week and was talking with the  instructor for a
plastering workshop that was following and he  mentioned/recommended
Graymont hydrated lime.  I didn't take note of  the specifics, and see on
their website that they produce a few  different hydrated limes-
     * High Calcium Hydrated Lime
     * Dolomitic Hydrate Type N
     * Dolomitic Hydrate Type S
     * Dolomitic Hydrate Type SA