[Cob] Roto Tillers and Cob?

Raduazo at aol.com Raduazo at aol.com
Wed Jun 21 21:27:14 CDT 2006

In a message dated 6/21/2006 2:19:54 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
soap at whidbey.com writes:

Ok! Some  one please enlighten me on how you use a roto tiller to make COB. I
need a way  to make cob quickly and efficiently and this sounds like a
possibility.

Thanks

David T

David: I am currently working on an article that I plan to submit to The  Cob
Web and to The Last Straw on tiller cob. The article is pretty much written.
Now I just need photographs to go with it and I should get them this
weekend. The article is as follows:

Tiller Cob by Ed Raduazo
Foot mixing  cob to Build a house is just the sort of thing I might have done
back when I was  18 or 20 years old and unemployed, but now that I am 65 and
suffering a few  joint problems getting out a tarp and mixing up a ton of cob
is not just a hard  day's work, for me it is darned near impossible. It makes
one ask don't they  make machines for doing that? Well it just so happens that
they do make machines  for that. They are called rototillers. Tillers are
designed for turning up dirt  and well that is pretty much what we are doing
isn't it. But there are a few  adjustments that you have to make in order for this
to  work.
The first is using chopped straw.  The tiller has a rotating blades and if
you attempt to use long straw many of  the strands will wind them selves around
the tiller shaft and you will spend  half the time cleaning the blades.
Some of the bailing machines chop  the straw as they bail it, but I have
never been able to find straw that was  pre-chopped to my liking and have always
had to make it. Being an old time  gardener of course I have a leaf shredder,
but the leaf shredder tends to shred  the stuff too fine. The finer stuff would
probably work and in fact it reminds  me of the straw for "window cob" or
straw for earth plaster that Ianto had me  manufacturing when I took his class in
British  Columbia.
What seems to work better and  faster than a leaf shredder is a cheap side
discharge lawn mower. Preferably one  with a real sharp blade. I simply lay out
a series of flakes along side of a  wall, and lowering and raising the handle
of the mower as I approach each flake  will shred it and throw it against the
wall.
Note: Rotary lawn mowers were  not designed to be used as straw shredders.
Protective eye wear and a P-95 or  N-95 rated dust mask are mandatory
accessories if you plan to do  this.
The tiller you use needs to be  one of the cheap tillers with front tines.
Small light weight is also  a plus, but with plenty of power to drive the tines.
 I was once given a  Troybuilt rear tine tiller at the National Building
Colloquium-East and could  not make it work. You need to be able to go forward and
backward and make really  sharp turns on a small pile of dirt and the rear
tine tiller would not do that.  The rear tine tillers have a metal plate to
protect your toes from getting  chopped off and this plate prevents you from
pulling the tiller back and forth  and prevents sharp turns needed to go back and
forth across the pile.
      My first tiller was a 5 Hp chain drive  tiller that was fantastic. It
could power its way through the thickest glop so  that when I was finished
tilling I was finished. After I wore out the engine on  that one though I
inherited my Dad's gear drive tiller. Actually it is a belt  drive that goes to a
drive shaft that goes to the gear box and drives the tines.  This is also 5 Hp,
but the belt portion of the drive system tends to slip when I  run it into
really thick cob/sand/straw mix. It still works, but I usually end  up adding a
little more water than I like or just doing the dry mixing and  finishing on the
tarp. It still saves you a tremendous amount of  time.
More water makes the cob softer so  you are limited to 6 inches to 1 foot of
construction in a day and you need two  or more days of drying out before you
can put on the next layer. This can work  out fine. If you are a small crew on
a large project, it will take a couple of  days to work your way around the
wall and get back to the starting point, or if  you are a weekend cobber like
me you can do couple tons on Saturday and Sunday,  and your wall has five days
to dry out before the next couple of tons gets piled  on.
Selecting the mix is pretty much the  same as with foot stomping. More clay
means a stickier mix that will shrink  more. More sand means less shrinking
less sticky. I usually go rich on the clay  because that is the free ingredient
of my mixes, and because if the mix is too  wet, I can do a lot of compensation
by adding straw. Whereas if the mix is rich  in sand and I try to add straw
to compensate for a wet batch the stuff will not  stick together.
My preferred mixing surface is  a concrete slab. (Be careful on asphalt slabs
particularly cracked asphalt as  the tiller will break up the slab and add it
to your mix.) The slab surface  gives you complete control of your mix
ingredients and your mix size. I like to  work with batches of about one ton. This
is 10 of the deep wheelbarrows filled  to the top. When I did my solar storage
wall I used 5 wheelbarrows of sand and 5  of clay. In the playhouse job at
Clarindon we have very sandy clay so the mix is  3 sand and 6 clay. I pour the
clay and sand out on the slab in alternate layers  to a depth of around 6 inches
and work around and across the pile then I add  straw and do it again. It is
good to have an assistant with a shovel who can  pick up clay or sand rich
material from the edges of the pile and throw it into  the center.
When the pile looks fairly  uniform, I create a well in the center by letting
the tiller turn in place for a  while and pulling back to drag the center
material towards me. Then I fill the  well with water and begin mixing again. I
find it easiest to turn the center  into a batch of gooey slop and then have my
assistant throw in shovels full of  dry stuff from the edges and then add
more water with the hose till I get what I  want. Here is where a good power to
blade size ratio really helps. With my old  tiller I could mix really thick
sticky cob that would not slump very much, but  with my new tiller the belt slips
when the going gets too tough. I was thinking  about removing the outer two
blades but the tiller is so old that I am not sure  they will come off or that
I could get them back  on.
With a tiller it is easy to adjust  the moisture content by throwing in more
straw or clay or sand if you need to  dry out stuff that is too wet, or by
spraying water on areas of the pile that  are too dry.
In one of my jobs I did not have a  concrete slab to work on and I used the
tiller for both mining clay and mixing  cob. I did this by just throwing sand
out on the ground and using the tiller to  bring up enough of the compacted
subsoil to make the mix feel right. The main  difference is that you will use a
dirt fork instead of a shovel to move the  finished material up out of the pit
and into the wheelbarrow to go to the  wall.
Even with tiller mixing cob is a  heavy labor intensive building material.
Use it wisely. I have been reading  The Solar House (Passive Heating and
Cooling) by Daniel Chiras, and I believe  that the future of cob is as a structural
component and heat storage means used  in combination with straw bale and glass
curtain walls. You can enclose a lot of  space with bales quickly and you
have a great insulator. With cob and stone you  have a great heat storage means
and load bearing means. With a post and beam and  glass curtain wall you have a
great heat collector. They can work  together.
    If you have questions and/or comments or proposed  editorial changes
please send them to me, not to the coblist. If I like them I  will incorporate
them into the article before I submit it.
    I can not send the pictures through  the coblist so if you want pictures
please send me a separate  E-mail sometime next week and I will try to gather
up every one who wants a  picture and send them all out at once. (I have dial
up so you know what that is  like.)  _raduazo at aol.com_
(mailto:raduazo at aol.com)