[Cob] Re: Wet cob and forms

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Thu Jun 22 15:41:48 CDT 2006

We've mixed cob in a small gas-powered cement mixer.  First using a 1/2
drill with a large drywall mud-beater, we whipped the clay into a wet
slip.  We added added the slip to sand in the mixer, letting the mixer
turn until uniformly coating sand with clay.  This is a wet slurry of
sand and clay, to which we added dry straw, mixing until the straw was
uniformly covered.  The straw absorbed some of the excess water, making
a wet cob, which couldn't be built up more than 8" or so per day.

But I've often wondered if we'd mixed several batches at once, then
dumped them all in a pile and let it sit a few days.  The excess water
would drain out and the cob might then be a better building/sculpting
consistency.