[Cob] Cob mixing tests

Clint Popetz clint at cpopetz.com
Sat Jun 24 12:34:19 CDT 2006

I think any method _can_ produce good cob.  The trick is being able to
detect good cob when you have it.  It's the number one question people
mixing cob for the first time have asked me.  "Hey, can you check if
this is done?"   And I asked that many times of Ianto when I was first
mixing cob too :)

Now when you're driving a bobcat over cob, it's harder to tell when
you're done, 'cause you have to shut it off, go poke around, and get
back on.  So you might get tired of that, or you might not notice the
pockets of too-sandy or too-clumpy or too-strawy until you start
putting it on the wall, and then you might not feel like starting the
bobcat up again.  When you're mixing by feet, you can tell as it
gradually gets to that sweet spot, but it's of course taking a lot
longer to do.

I think everyone should be able to mix in whatever way they like.  If
mixing with your feet is too hard on your body, by all means
experiment with machines.  Just check the mix a lot until you're
satisfied, and keep track of how long it took to get to the satisfied
point, so that you can streamline the work as the walls go up.

-Clint