[Cob] Re: fachwerk-wattle & daub in movie "The New World"

dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Sat Jun 24 12:25:41 CDT 2006

Hello again.  if you want to see some great examples of authentic
wattle and daub houses done in the 1600s
rent the movie  -DVD is best not video   "The New World "  about
Pocahantas and Capt John Smith in the exploration of the East Coast.
They built a small fort exactly in the style, and you see several small
houses with the wattle work showing, and thatched roofs, and lots of
other  organic building.

you can also view the MAKING OF section on the DVD and see them making
the structures

during the interior shots you can view the walls and plaster styles,
door details, etc.  and the movie is beautifully filmed too!

very nice to see such attention to authentic detail, and informative
too.

Charmaine

On Jun 24, 2006, at 7:03 AM, organic_architecture at yahoogroups.com wrote:

>  this was posted by Q Wilson from the Adobe list- but the cob materials
>  are of interest to cobbers, and the ferro steel use, likewise to
>  ferroists
>
>  very arty designs- to me the best of both worlds- especially in areas
>  where quakes are an issue and stabilized buildings are needed ( cob
>  purists ignore the above sentence)
>
> http://www.marcelocortes.cl/

Charmaine Taylor Publishing
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
PO BOX 375 CUTTEN CA 95534
Tel:  707-441-1632   MORE Building DVDs in stock