[Cob] Alkaline soil

Christine Mehring christine_mehring at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 24 18:23:34 CDT 2006

Hi,

  We are considering building a cob house in SE Nevada.  Our soil is sand/silt with about 20% clay (non-expansive) and very little organic matter.  My concern is with the soil Ph.  We have what is apparently known as "free lime" soil; it is so alkaline that if you pour vinegar on a pile of dirt it will fizz like baking soda.  Does anyone have experience with this type of soil, or have any idea if it will effect the success of the cob walls?  Will the alkali break down the straw over time?  Any help and advice appreciated.

  Thanks,
  Christine