[Cob] Alkaline soil

jane at kirstinelund.dk jane at kirstinelund.dk
Sun Jun 25 04:14:37 CDT 2006

>From what I, as an archaeologist, have learned about the use of different
kinds of clay for different purposes, alkaline clay is generally preferred
for building - if accessible. The lime will make the clay more water
resistant, and probably also stronger.

However, I do not know how high the lime content can be without causing
trouble (and it sounds like yours is very high), or if it might affect the
straw. Probably any weakening effect will counterbalanced by the
strengthening of the clay itself, but again - I suppose it depends on the
actual content.