[Cob] tiller cob and other machines

i love cob! cob at organicart.com
Mon Jun 26 18:31:38 CDT 2006

I've been mixing with an electric mixer for about a year now.  Man - is
it helpful.  Usually I am working as a 'one-man-band'.  It's great to be
able to mix the sand, clay  and add water with the machine.  Meanwhile I
can gather more materials and pulverize clay chunks, fetch water and the
like.  Working with large amounts of material; this phase allows the
measurement, mixing and soaking of the raw ingredients.
I spend an afternoon mixing and produce gigantic dinosaur turds of cob.
I mix it wet, as that's how the concrete mixer likes it, and then I let
it sit.  The mix gels as it sits and dries over the course of a few days.

I shovel 300 pounds worth into a wheel barrel, then bring the mix to the
location  I'm applying it.  It needs a little attention before getting
to the wall.  I add water and mix it with a hoe.  Then add straw as
needed.  It goes straight to the wall from there.  I agree about the
quality control - you need it!  The applier knows what they need in the
mix.  They can add or subtract material and enhance the cob as they go.

m i c h a e l