[Cob] tiller cob and other machines

Raduazo at aol.com Raduazo at aol.com
Mon Jun 26 17:40:15 CDT 2006

In a message dated 6/26/2006 2:19:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Soap at whidbey.com writes:

Do you  think 2 or 4 tine tillers
are the best for cob?

My tiller has four sets of tines. The outer set can be removed giving you a
lot more power to a much smaller area. This should allow you to mix much
stickier cob. Right now the cob is either too dry and I have to add a sprinkle  on
a tarp or in the wheelbarrow or too wet. When it is just right the tiller
does not have enough poser to rotate four rows of tines. The difficulty I have
in removing the outer tines is that the connecting means on my tiller has
become warn to the point that I will have to grind the pin off and get a new one
or substitute a nut and bolt and lock washer of some sort.
    Another problem with 4 tines is that the tiller  tends to hop up and down
more because it is like rolling a square wheel instead  of an eight sided
wheel.
Ed