[Cob] PaperCob!

Clint Popetz clint at cpopetz.com
Thu Jul 6 14:54:58 CDT 2006

On 7/6/06, GlobalCirclenet <webmaster at globalcircle.net> wrote:

> Radiant heat radiates in all directions at once, but convection heat does not. Can anyone not know that it's warmer near the ceiling than near the floor? Warmer air transfers heat through the ceiling/roof faster than cooler air through the walls.

Yes, it's warmer near the ceiling.  And since the temperature gradient
between the inside of the ceiling and the attic (or the roof, in a
cathedral ceiling) will be therefore greater than the gradient between
the inside/outside of walls, and since heat transfer goes as the 4th
power of the temperature difference, heat loss will be greater through
a roof.

So yes, you should concentrate on insulation "up there."  But after
that, walls are a huge heat loss.  This is compounded by the fact that
the walls typically have more punctures (for openings) and often don't
even have a vapor barrier, and their insulation has often settled,
leaving a big gap at the top.

I wasn't contesting that insulation in the attic is a good thing.  I
just wanted to clarify that insulation (and a good vapor barrier) in
the walls is very important, in contrast to your statement:  "Heat
rises, and no amount of R-value in the walls alone will reduce total
house heat loss enough to notice."  If you had no insulation on top,
perhaps that would be true.  But not in the more common case of having
an insulated attic.

-Clint