[Cob] Straw bales for roof insulation

jane at kirstinelund.dk jane at kirstinelund.dk
Fri Jul 7 02:12:45 CDT 2006

You can indeed use straw bales to insulate your roof. A lot of people do
it here in Denmark; for instance some of the people in my community. It
does make the roof rather high and heavy, but it's cheap and effective.

You just put the straw bales under the water proof top roof, with air
space in between for ventilation. Usually you also coat the bales with
clay to make them fireproof.