[Cob] RE: what you put over an earthbag foundation etc

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at habitat.org
Thu Sep 7 14:42:38 CDT 2006

<snip>
I built my foundation out of bagged sand...
   bags of polypro. I love the look and the sturdiness of the wall but i
   dont know how to get the cobb off the ground on the outside of the
   house and yet keep these bags from the suns rays... i am thinking i
   should go around the outside of the house with rocks and build the
   cobb walls off of these stones. has anyone else used the poly bags
for
   their foundation and if so how did you deal with this issue.
</snip>

My house is built on an earth bag foundation. However I mixed some
cement with the sand, got the mixture damp and tamped it down per
standard earth bag type work. Once I get about off the ground a bit, I
then just just cob. I did paint the top of the bags before the cob with
asphalt emulsion to help with wicking moisture.

Pat.