[Cob] Re: Lime/clay plaster courses

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Sat Sep 9 13:59:10 CDT 2006

Expansion/contraction is caused by having too little sand in your
plaster.  If you make both lime and clay plasters sandy enough, you can
minimize shrinkage.  Try the "crunch" test, where a ball of plaster in
your hands makes a crunchy sound when squeezed.  Of course, nothing
replaces the need to make several test panels, with different clay/sand
and lime/sand ratio.  Plaster them onto a plywood scrap, with the joint
between each pair, then speed bake them dry in a low heat over
(200°F?).  You'll see where you have too little sand (cracking occurs)
and where the plaster is too sandy (plaster crumbles).  Also, fiber
ratios can help control cracking, though too little sand is the most
likely culprit.

I wouldn't worry about water wicking up the lime course, as long as you
don't put the plaster in direct contact with the soil or too close the
splashing rain gutters, etc.  Lime plasters aren't as hydrophilic as
cement, and they breathe so well they quickly evaporate any blown rain
which they might absorb during a windy storm.  (1000 year old cottages
in rainy, windy Wales have proven the test of time!)

Good luck, have fun, and please post pictures of your test patches on
your website.  Be sure to report the results to the list; we want to
know what you discover.  I just looked at your website (
http://www.blogas.lt/RB ), and you're building a beautiful house!

Ocean Liff-Anderson
http://www.intabas.com

ps:  If you do notice a different expansion coefficient between the two
courses (as evidenced by a horizontal crack between clay and lime
courses) then, why not build an artistic feature into this area, like a
wavy horizontal groove?  This would serve as an expansion joint, like
the ones commonplace in concrete sidewalks, slabs, etc.