[Cob] Re:traditional cob cottage

lori murphy tefla2 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 12 20:27:26 CDT 2006

Hi,
  I am an artist/student at Goddard College in Vermont in need of information and suggestions.My entire current semester is to design a cob cottage that I could build myself,keeping costs modest.I am interested in building in a style similar to the traditional irish thatched cottage and cob cottages in devon and wales,with an attached greenhouse.I am trying to design the building to be off the grid,and for the Northeast or other cold climates that will have snow,possibly vermont,or maine.Im starting to make test mixes of cob and plasters to submit to prove they are structurally sound building materials,and have many questions-Does anyone know where I can buy lime to make lime putty?( I am in the Chicago,Illinois area) I dont need a large amount right now,just need to experiment with some plaster mixes.

  Does anyone have suggestions about foundations and how to incorporate radiant floor heating? I would like to use a stacked stone foundation,recycled concrete,or could even cast stone myself if I had to,trying to avoid the poured concrete foundation,and want earthen and flagstone floors.I am also very interested in photographs of the INTERIORS of the traditional cob buildings,which I cannot seem to find anywhere,if anyone has some,please share-:).I am very curious about the layout of the rooms inside,kitchens,bedrooms,lofts,etc.I know it is probably more practical to do so in a cold climate,but I really dont want to build with strawbales,as cob is more manageable for me to build myself,and I dont want to do all that framing.So,I am wondering,if I make very thick walls of cob,like 4-5 feet,if that would help with the insulation issue-or,if it is possible to build cob walls for 3 feet or so and then make a pocket close to the interior to fill with maybe 4-6 inches of
 straw,and then continue with more cob,the straw being for added insulation.Any comments would be great-thanks