[Cob] cob classes

Copper Harding copper at happydancingturtle.org
Tue Sep 12 19:51:53 CDT 2006

These are all run through our local community education in Pine River,
MN. If you are interested in registering or have questions please
contact barbhines at happydancingturtle.org Happy Cobbing!!! :)

Cob Stomping for Kids - Primary
Kids in grades K-2 can learn to create “cob” (earthen plaster made from
sand, clay and straw) by stomping. This basic introduction to cob is
both fun and educational, and is a great first experience working with
cob. Instructors: Barb Hines and Quinn Swanson, Happy Dancing Turtle
Grades K-2 Limit of 10 Children
Tuesday, Sept. 19
3:15PM - 5:15PM Snack Provided
Tuition: $4

Cob Stomping for Kids – Upper Elementary
Kids in grades 3-6 can learn to create “cob” (earthen plaster made from
sand, clay and straw) by stomping. This basic introduction to cob is
both fun and educational, and is a great first experience working with
cob. Instructors: Barb Hines and Quinn Swanson, Happy Dancing Turtle
Grades 3-6 Limit of 10 Children
Tuesday, Sept. 26
3:15PM – 5:15PM Snack Provided
Tuition: $4

Cob Creations for Kids - Primary
Kids in grades K-2 will be able to play with cob (earthen plaster made
from sand, clay and straw), and will create a small sculpted item to
take home. This is a great first building experience with cob.
Instructors: Barb Hines and Quinn Swanson, Happy Dancing Turtle
Grades K-2 Limit of 10 Children
Wednesday, Oct. 18
3:15PM – 4:30PM Snack Provided
Tuition: $8

Cob Creations for Kids – Upper Elementary
Kids in grades 3-6 will be able to play with cob (earthen plaster made
from sand, clay and straw), and will create a small sculpted item to
take home. This is a great first building experience with cob.
Instructors: Barb Hines and Quinn Swanson, Happy Dancing Turtle
Grades 3-6 Limit of 15 Children
Tuesday, Oct. 24
3:15PM – 4:30PM Snack Provided
Tuition: $8

Wattle and Daub Birdhouses – Primary
Build a take home birdhouse out of wood and cob (earthen plaster made of
clay, sand and straw). Wattle and daub is a process where we’ll weave
vine-like material (wattle) around our birdhouse then daub (fill) it in
with cob to create a structure. Instructors: Barb Hines and Quinn
Swanson, Happy Dancing Turtle
Grades K-2 Limit of 10 Children
Wednesday, Oct. 25
3:15PM – 5:15PM Snack Provided
Tuition: $13

Wattle and Daub Birdhouses – Upper Elementary
Build a take home birdhouse out of wood and cob (earthen plaster made of
clay, sand and straw). Wattle and daub is a process where we’ll weave
vine-like material (wattle) around our birdhouse then daub (fill) it in
with cob to create a structure. Instructors: Barb Hines and Quinn
Swanson, Happy Dancing Turtle
Grades 3-6 Limit of 10 Children
Wednesday, Nov. 1
3:15PM – 5:30PM Snack Provided
Tuition: $13

Cob Mixing for Adults
Adults ages 16 and up will learn two methods of mixing cob, earthen
plaster made from sand, clay and straw, used for building and sculpting.
This class provides the basics for creating cob. Enjoy Earthen Plaster
Basics for Adults to build on the information provided in this class.
Instructors: Barb Hines and Quinn Swanson, Happy Dancing Turtle
Wednesday, Sept. 13 Limit of 15 People
6:30PM – 8:30PM Snack Provided
Located at HUG Campus
Tuition: $6

Earthen Plaster Basics for Adults
Adults ages 16 and up will learn the basics of working with cob (earthen
plaster made from sand, clay and straw.) Sculpting and application
techniques will be taught, along with painting and finishing methods. A
small project may be completed to take home (if time allows), and the
class will work on artistically enhancing a wall. Cob is not only an
excellent sculpting media, but can be used in combination with straw
bales to make walls and structures that are extremely energy efficient
and environmentally friendly. Check out cob mixing in preparation for
this class (not required). Instructors: Barb Hines and Quinn Swanson,
Happy Dancing Turtle
Mondays, Sept. 18, 25, Oct. 16 Limit of 10 People
6:30PM – 8:30 PM Snack Provided
Located at HUG Campus
Tuition: $ 19