[Cob] mixing cob with a truck

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Sun Sep 24 22:15:39 CDT 2006

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Shody Ryon wrote:

> I have heard of someone on this list using a very very
> heavy canvis (sp) tarp on pavment and driving a bobcat
> back and forth with good results.

I don't know of anyone using a tarp under a skid loader, every case I am
familiar with just did it directly on pavement, concrete slab, or (in my
case) directly on the ground.

If anyone wants to mix on bare ground using the bobcat / skid loader
technique, I recommend the following:

  - use a hard well compacted area for mixing,

  - use a bit less earth in the mix than you normally would, you will pick
    up some extra earth (alot if you're not careful) from where you do the
    mixing.

  - Dry mix the sand/clay/straw as much as possible using the bucket before
    adding the water, the longer you spend working the wet mix, the more
    earth you will pick up from the mixing site.

  - You will need to learn how to "walk" the skid loader backwards off
    the pile using the bucket as it will high center on the mix.

  - Wet mixing will consist of a combination of turning the mix with the
    bucket and driving up on top of the mix and spinning the skid loader
    around in alternating directions using the tires to mix.

FWIW.