[Cob] 2007 Natural Building Colloquium Texas

billc billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Fri Nov 24 23:41:39 CST 2006

(apologies for cross posting)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE  -  13 November 2006

Contact:
Kindra Welch, Frank Meyer
Austin, Texas
Phone: 512.663.3166
kindra at claysandstraw.com
http://www.naturalbuildingtexas.org

Natural Building Colloquium 2007 Slated for October in Kerrville, Texas

Austin, TX -- Natural building and permaculture are coming to Quiet
Valley Ranch, central Texas, home of the long-running, world famous
Kerrville Folk Festival. Quiet Valley Ranch will host the Natural
Building Colloquium from October 19 - 28, 2007.

Austin's Sustainable Building Coalition and other Texas natural
building leaders will work with colloquium participants to improve
facilities used by Kerrville Folk Festival artists, staff and
visitors. "We're looking forward to offering hands-on natural
building seminars in this wide open setting, and hosting talks from
leading natural building architects, builders, experts and teachers,"
says Kindra Welch, co-organizer of this event. "Right now, we're
asking everyone to save the date."

"The state of the world now is pretty messed up, and anything we can
do to show people a better way to build, any positive changes we can
make, we need to do," says Frank Meyer, a straw bale construction
veteran and event co-organizer.

Details on registration, costs, speakers, schedules, and other
colloquium details are yet to be determined, but will be posted on
the 2007 colloquium's web site (http://www.naturalbuildingtexas.org)
as soon as is feasible.

Natural building emphasizes construction techniques that are deeply
sustainable: materials are generally harvested from the earth,
forests and fields near a site. Ms. Welch says, "Natural buildings
become pieces of art created with soul and purpose."

Permaculture, or "permanent agriculture" as originated by Bill
Mollison, is the practice of designing sustainable human habitats by
following nature's patterns, integrating ecology, landscape, organic
gardening, architecture and agroforestry.

Possible topics or projects for this colloquium currently under
consideration include straw bale construction, cob construction,
earthen and lime plasters, earthen floors, natural building theory
and practice, owner-builder project presentations and more.
Colloquium planning committees are formed but not full. Anyone
interested in supporting this event with time or other resources
should contact Ms. Welch.

For information: http://www.naturalbuildingtexas.org
Contact: kindra at claysandstraw.com
Phone: 512.663.3166