[Cob] living tree question

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 12 20:42:47 CST 2006

What I don't know would fill a couple of books.

But I expect it's going to depend on  lot of things.

What kind of trees are they?

What's the root system like, if used as posts, do they rot out quickly, are
they the kind of trees that coppice (send up shoots from what's left of the
trunk--around here, cedar and I think pine do not, poplar does, cottonwood
will send up shoots twenty or so feet away)

Where do you see these trees in your house?  If they stayed alive they would
need water, air to the roots etc.  If they go down in a tornado how much
damage will they do?

One of the places I think about putting a house has a couple of huge
butt-rotted beeches within falling distance.  Unless they get hit by
lightning or a tornado or an ice storm, they'll stay up for generations,
but....

A friend who never ever hires out work thought and looked and thought again,
then picked up the phone to ask a pro to take out a 14" in diameter oak tree
that had been tiny when he'd built his house inches from it 20 years before.
  It turned out to be a very simple job, but not if he'd done it the way
he'd had in mind, or in a wind, or.....

You could always build a multi-tree treehouse.  I've heard of one built so
as to do no damage to the tree (fastenings that could be changed every
couple of years, no girdling, no growing around boards, etc.).  Never seen
one, not in touch with the person who told me about it.

Jimmy Carlisle wrote:
Okay, this may be way out there, I can't find anything close to it anywhere
on the net, so this is a good place to ask it.  I have a area I want to
build a cob home.  I also have a few very tall trees I don't want to cut and
have to try and get the stumps out.  What would happen if I cut the trees
about 8 ft. high, cut them even, and use them as corner posts for the roof?
Is this a very bad plan?  I thought of debarking them and puttting a coat of
varnish on also.
    Are they going to keep growning after I do this?  I thought it would
look good and blend in well.
     I welcome all comments...

age, and price. Try it!