[Cob] Engineering, $$$, etc

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Tue Dec 19 13:07:05 CST 2006

An engineer is a professional with a government-issued license.  The
license can be suspended for faulty engineering, etc.  This is why most
engineers stay far away from cob and other alternative methods.  An
engineer would never sign a waiver - after all, you are asking for them
to certify with your local government that the building is safe and
sound.  Then how, at the same time, could you ask them to sign an
agreement that says "the building might fall down, but it's not my
fault"?

I think the $10,000 figure is probably accurate, give that an engineer
will have to do a lot of research, beyond the standard process of
looking up engineering numbers for conventional structures.  There's
really no way around this issue:  if you're going to try to build under
the scrutiny of your local building department, then it's going to cost
a lot of money.  That's why Ianto Evans strongly recommends building
small (under 200 square feet), having good relations with your
neighbors (so they don't rat you out) and pretty much crossing your
fingers that you would be discovered.  This is probably also why,
despite many years of discussion about getting engineering for cob, I
have still never heard of a single code-approved cob structure in the
United States.