[Cob] foundation on unstable caly with high water table

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 21 17:35:16 CST 2006

Unfired clay anywhere near a high water table?  After all the trouble people
go through to design their houses with good-sized overhangs to keep rain off
of their walls?

I think I've read that where there is permafrost (e.g., far northern Alaska,
presumably Russia as well) one can make a "floating slab"  foundation.  I
haven't seen the booklet for this type of construction for years, but I
think that's where I got the idea, it's basically only mentioned in passing
here:  http://www.alaskacabin.net/ so that booklet is probably not worth
buying.  but then you have the problem of a waterproof barrier between
ground--and foundation--and your house material.

How do people normally build there? (and does it work?)

One might be able to put big pads sufficient to keep your house from sinking
under a series of piers or posts.  And keep the house material half a meter
or so off of the ground.  This kind of thing:
http://www.bigfootsystems.com/  but I don't know if you'd want to put a
heavy cob house on piers or posts or piles.
Christo Markham wrote:
We want to build a small cob studio, 5metersx 7meters.
The problem is we are here in the Netherlands far below sealevel.
With unstable clay ground and a very high water table after 40 centimeters
we hit water. Any suggestions for the foundation?
We are thinking of dumping as much sand as we can to get something in
between the water and the floor.
Typically they drive 20 meter piles in the grond to build the foundation
ringwalls onto. This isn't possible as we are only accesable with
wheelbarrows.