[Cob] roof first, roof second...posts?

Marlin Nissen marlin_nissen at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 8 11:31:48 CST 2007

I've always thought with a full blown building project that I like the design of having the poles holding up a roof be in corporated into the house too.....as maybe  roof supports AND the poles for a wrap around porch. In a northern climate where weather beats the surface it'd save a lot of replastering PLUS the poles wouldnt' be in your way or expanding at different rates then the cob.

  BTW I've posted before ideas for INSULATED cob  - a must in northern climates...still think it's viable and more stable then straw.

  Marlin

Patrick Newberry <PNewberry at habitat.org> wrote:
  I went with the roof first because I knew I would be building a a very
slow pace. (took several years). Of course living in a climate such as
middle Georgia gives us, not having walls was not too big a deal.

I used local timber as well to support the roof but did not remove them
but rather they are build into the house. We just build the cob wall up
to the roof. One good thing is that since in most places they are
located such they have proved useful for hanging stuff, nailing into
etc.

Pat.

> My wife and I are deep in planning stages for our *huge* cob house
project.
> Well, not that huge, but maybe bigger than some. Anyway, we're trying
> decide about the roof. Whether to build it first, and then build the
walls
> up around it, or build the cob walls up and use them as the load
bearing
> part to hold the roof up.

  "And so long as they were at war, their power was preserved, but when they had attained empire
they fell, for of the arts of peace they knew nothing, and had never engaged in any employment higher
than war." Aristotle on Politics