SPAM-LOW: Re: [Cob] interior walls, width, curvature

Joe Skeesick joe at skeesick.com
Fri Jan 19 09:08:37 CST 2007

As for how thin you can go.... It's going to directly relate to how tall
the ceiling is and your particular mix. Cob isn't really a medium that
works well with 'engineering extremes'. In other word, it craves to be
overbuilt, there are not simple mathematical formulas for figuring out
the span you can cross with an arc, or how thin a wall can be. Cob is
not a consistent material, not from house to house, not even from mix to
mix, so overbuilding becomes a necessity to account for the
inconsistency of the medium. A good rule of thumb is, if you have to ask
"how thin can I make this wall?" Your probably already thinking too thin.

Having said that, if you want to make the most of your footprint and you
don't want to risk a wall coming down (and improve it's ability to stand
up to the ground shaking) it's best then to look at alternative
construction methods. I would opt for wattle and daub for interior non
load bearing walls. You will retain the cob look (especially if you
thicken the wall terminal with an oversize bull nose to make the wall
appear thicker) without sacrificing 10" or more of floor space to
accommodate a full cob wall. A waddle and daub wall would be closer to a
3-4" wall and work great for interior walls and partitions (for closets,
cabinets and the like).

Paul - The answer to your question about interior walls, lifestyle and
noise has no single answer. I think much of the lack of interior walls
has to do with the costs/work of foundation and roofing materials. Walls
waste a lot of both. However, it isn't just a cost and effort issue.
Many people feel the communal nature of open designs is a real benefit
and opt to have a single unified communal environment. Personally I've
owned open plan homes and older compartmentalized homes. I much prefer
rooms and doors. Personally I find it much more relaxing, quiet and less
stressful, but walls and doors add to cost and time and some people feel
'less connected' in that environment.

As to how well cob insulates sounds, I've stayed in a number of
traditional cob homes in England and I found them very quite. The walls
tend to absorb the sound instead of bounce it around like a concrete
structure would. However, these were traditional cob structures with low
ceilings, wood floors and VERY thick walls (US cobbers tend to build
much thinner).