[Cob] interior walls, width, curvature

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 20 11:17:23 CST 2007

Not sure how well it works, but we have put in (not yet finished--we can't
plaster now, it's too likely to freeze) a clay straw wall in 2x8 framing.  I
think it's going to be fine.  It looked great--until I decided it had to
have plaster lath on the walls.  We used up some of the privet desert to
make a fairly widely spaced woven framework inside the 2x8's, then mixed up
pretty pure clay with chopped straw--to the fairly heavy salad dressing
stage, nailed form boards on the framing, pounded the mix in (using more
privet sticks to get it down into the forms).  This gave a nice, not too
thick (if I'd known that it was going to get expanded metal lath, I could
have used 2x6's) wall.

Joe Skeesik replied to Tys Sniffen and Paul (snipped)

....A good rule of thumb is, if you have to ask "how thin can I make this
wall?" Your probably already thinking too thin.

Having said that, if you want to make the most of your footprint and you
don't want to risk a wall coming down (and improve it's ability to stand up
to the ground shaking) it's best then to look at alternative construction
methods. I would opt for wattle and daub for interior non load bearing
walls. You will retain the cob look (especially if you thicken the wall
terminal with an oversize bull nose to make the wall appear thicker) without
sacrificing 10" or more of floor space to accommodate a full cob wall.

The answer to your question about interior walls, lifestyle and noise has no
single answer. ... However, it isn't just a cost and effort issue. Many
people feel the communal nature of open designs is a real benefit and opt to
have a single unified communal environment. Personally I've owned open plan
homes and older compartmentalized homes. I much prefer rooms and doors.

As to how well cob insulates sounds, I've stayed in a number of traditional
cob homes in England and I found them very quiet. The walls tend to absorb
the sound instead of bounce it around like a concrete structure would.
However, these were traditional cob structures with low ceilings, wood
floors and VERY thick walls (US cobbers tend to build much thinner).

paul wrote:

>Question about the interior walls: Does anybody care about the sound
>insulation values?  I see a lot of open area designs and it seems like
>people are not big into privacy.  Is that because of lifestyle preferences,
>money for doors or is everybody quiet as mice?

Spaces