[Cob] Mesh/webbing choices> interior walls

Dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Sun Jan 21 15:21:18 CST 2007

PAUL ASKED:  Does cob lend itself to being applied to a chicken-wire
frame?   I'm wondering if cob can be applied to chicken-wire in the
same way.

Metal and cob are not so friendly, so adding a fiber that can blend the
difference between the two is preferrable.  I have tried cutting up
sacking from coffee
(burlap) thin thin cheesecloth I got free ( dip in clay slip and apply
loosely, potato polypropylene sacks, cut open.   etc.

    IF YOU USE THE CHICKEN WIRE I WOULD ALSO ADD A LAYER OF A LOOSE
WEAVE FABRIC,  like    onion skin bags, other netting or the coir fiber
  (coconut husk) matting used for gardens.

MY BEST  fiber mesh is the stuff that peels off the back of carpet. it
is NOT natural cotton- but it is FREE and comes  off easily, and is in
strips 6"-12" wide and can be wrapped,  dipped in lime-clay, etc.

I am testing it as a great salvage material for clay/cob like projects.
  here is a brief rundown of using it

http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com/frincetiqude.html

you are getting a good mesh, and saving it from the landrill, and
carpet stores are happy to let you take it. OK cobe PURISTS will not
like this, but pick your battles... poly mesh backing is inert, is free
and better than using cement  or more wire mesh to make things stick
well.

  Charmaine Taylor Publishing
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
PO BOX 375 CUTTEN CA 95534  USA
Tel:  707-441-1632
New Books-DVDs-CDs on Natural/House Building