[Cob] VT-NH Was Heart Throb

Ron Becker ron45 at tularosa.net
Wed Jan 31 13:30:02 CST 2007

Hi Travis. With out seeing a jar test of the local my comments could be
pretty far off base. It is possible that if someone were hell bent of
build cob in your area, the amount of added clay required could be
easily transported in a car [as more was needed] as the percentage of
clay you need to add to make a good clay soil isn't that much. Here in
NM on this particular site the jar test told me I only had about 10%
clay. This was a surprise I thought this area was adobe heaven. But the
point is a few shovels of pure kentucky ball clay added to a mix did
the trick. This kind of clay and most others comes in 50lb bags and you
could get quite a few in a car trunk. That said, if the soil is low on
clay and full of silt it might require more. And that said, there is a
very astute point made in The Hand Sculpted House, that it's best
utilize what's already on your site. SO, if your local ceramic supply
house is 80 miles away in a direction you don't ever go.....

Stay warm up there,

Ron
Those who question global warming have a financial or emotional
interest in the status quo.