[Cob] Linseed oil in general

Christo Markham * CobSolutions cobsolutions at quicknet.nl
Wed Feb 7 09:08:42 CST 2007

My 2 cents on linseed oil. Having worked in an old Dutch windmill in the Zaanstreek in the Netherlands where we extracted linseed oil from flax seed I'd like to say that raw linseed oil has a longer drying time than boiled linseed I'd steer clear of any boiled linseed due to the added siccatives to enhance drying mainly heavy metals such as cobalt. Not good for the respiratory system. Also heated raw linseed oil will soak in beter than cold oil. If your heating linseed oil be very careful with open flames it is very combustible. Any rags you use to clean up with or are containing oil remnants should be soaked in water and hung up to dry in the open air. I've seen a pile of rags with linseed oil in them spontaneously combust. Almost lost the windmill which is made of wood and thatched with reed. I've had good sucess with heated linseed oil and beeswax for water proofing wood in the past I added turpentine but haven't for some years and as long as the linseed oil and beeswax are warm when applied it penetrates well.