[Cob] Don't add steam to cob!

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Sun Feb 11 17:24:14 CST 2007

Our commercial cob oven has suffered damage due to water added to the
oven during baking bread.  The steam entered small fissures in the
ceiling and resulted in large chunks of the thermal core breaking off!
Kiko is planning on replastering the interior, but this is something
one would want to avoid if possible.

Alan Scott (of Bread Builders) told Kiko that he tells his clients not
to add water to his masonry ovens, due to damage, spalling, etc.  He
said he rebuilt a brick oven for one client three times, each time it
was destroyed by the addition of steam, but the client refused to stop
adding steam.

You don't really need to add steam to get good bread.  If you have a
good, tight door the steam released from the dough is retained in the
baking process.  The cob oven maintains an ideal humidity.  Case in
point - once we discovered the damage being done to our oven, we
stopped adding water.  Our bread was just as good, with a nice crisp
crust.  (The addition of steam only seems necessary in gas fired ovens,
which have poorer humidity characteristics.)

You can see pictures of our oven at http://www.wildfirefood.com   Click
on the button which says "Maya's Page"

Ocean Liff-Anderson, Proprietor
Wildfire Restaurant, Corvallis Oregon