[Cob] Lime putty on cob and adobe.

Shody Ryon qi4u at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 12 02:18:55 CST 2007

Thanks for taking the time to explain this. I have
gotten lime mixed with cob mixed up with portland
cement mixed with cob. I am not sure what this mix is
called ;-)
I have never worked with cob. I have worked with bag
building just a little (6 years ago) and talked with
the builder who was becoming an extreme purist in that
he wanted to build more and more with naturally (by
nature) produced material and wanted to exclude lime
and make a more alive building even if it is higher
maintenance because it is more alive.
So there was/is an on-going debate about whether or
not to ad the 6% portland cement to on-site soil in
the bags or not. I assume there is a safety concern
because
the building could collaps. I think if the pH is bad
for portland cement adding it makes everything worse
because the structural integrity of both the cob and
the cement is destroyed. I might have this all wrong,
but this is my recollection.
Shody

--- Dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor
<tms at northcoast.com> wrote:

<snip>
> Shody   What do you mean?.. all 3 will react
> together to bind the mass
> of clay.
<snip>