[Cob] Lime putty on cob and adobe.

dealy at deatech.com dealy at deatech.com
Mon Feb 12 04:48:35 CST 2007

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007, Ron Becker wrote:

> I've had some lime slaking since last spring and every time I mix some
> up with sand it seems so thin to work with that I usually wind up
> adding clay soil to the mix. I have only mixed the sand in at three to
> one. It doesn't seem like more sand would make the mix any more
> cohesive. Anyone have experience with lime putty and sand alone?

It sounds like you are getting alot of water in the mix, lime putty which
is very stiff and thick should be at the bottom of where you slaked it,
the lime-water on top while it can be used should be used sparingly to get
the right consistency of the mixture.  If you don't have a thick stiff
putty mix, then something is wrong.