[Cob] cob on earthbag

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at habitat.org
Tue Feb 13 15:27:31 CST 2007

Yes, it is true, the earth bags function more a form, thus they can be
removed and cut away.
I do not use any straw in my earth bag mix and the mix is only damp
never wet as wet will not compress very well when you pound the bags.

I have plastered over both the bags and the bags and the cut away bags,
but generally I leave the bags in place.

Basically any coating over the bags or over the bag stripped wall is
simply a plaster.

It can be a pain to plaster over the bags, but I've done a bunch. Best
bet is to realize early that it will take more than one coat / layer. I
generally focus in on the indentation between the layer of bags rather
the bulging center of the bag on my first layer.

The plaster will never make the bag wall weaker. It can only add
strength.

Pat Newberry
www.Gypsyfarm.com